PSN Users Reporting Hundreds of Dollars Stolen From Them

PSN

After the shock announcement regarding Sony saying that every single PlayStation Network account may have been compromised, reports are starting to come in pointing towards the fact that PSN users are having hundreds of dollars stolen from their account this past weekend.

One PlayStation Network user, Josh Webb, emailed us after seeing the news regarding a user having $600 taken from him, stating:

A total of $300 was taken from my debit card on Saturday. However, my bank called me to notify me of a suspicious transaction and they confirmed it was indeed a fraudulent withdrawal. I’ve had to cancel my card and order a new one which the bank will transfer my previous account’s money into. The thing isI worry that many users who linked their bank accounts with their PSN account are in serious danger; I hope they all call their banks to immediately take action and prevent any fraudulent withdrawals.

Here’s the email in picture form where Josh requested us to report on so others were notified and took action:

Click on image to enlarge:

Of course, there’s the story which many believed to be fake that VGN365 reported recently; a PSN user had $600 taken from their account. In the same story, Mike said he was also a victim of fraud:

I had $200 taken out my debit card as well. This occurred in Florida and I live in MN. Luckily my bank’s fraud dept caught it right away and I have since cancelled my card. This just sucks.

Click on image to enlarge to see his comment:

Sony had today announced via the PlayStation Blog that every single person’s PSN credit card details may have been and is at risk of being compromised.

VGN365 requests every PSN user that reads this story to take action regarding their bank details. We wish you all – including Josh – the best; good luck.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati

61 Comments on "PSN Users Reporting Hundreds of Dollars Stolen From Them"

1. Dirk April 26, 2011 at 11:52 pm - Reply

I guess we now know why Sony wasn’t providing any information about the “external intrusion”.

• David April 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm - Reply

I think this is a ruse. Sony’s behind it in order to get more $$$ into their company.

yes I’m kidding, take it easy there!

2. DarthDiggler April 27, 2011 at 1:04 am - Reply

So was this proven to be a result the PSN breach? Or does 2 people speak for the 60+ million accounts that PSN has?

My account seems fine.

3. Swaps4 April 27, 2011 at 2:03 am - Reply

Owned.

4. Kublin April 27, 2011 at 2:07 am - Reply

So some guy emailing you makes it true? Oh cool, can I email you about the dreamcast 2 being true?

I swear its true, my uncle works at sega, it’s actually called the sega 3000, because that’s a bigger number than 360 and 3.

If there’s actually proof of this happening then I’ll believe it.

• lololololol April 27, 2011 at 2:16 am - Reply

umad kublin?

• GrigLager April 27, 2011 at 6:24 am - Reply

you trolling, lololol? :P

• ThatOneDude April 27, 2011 at 11:38 am - Reply

They should have named it the Sega 9001

cuz that’s over 9000

5. Fire April 27, 2011 at 2:33 am - Reply

Switch to XBL.

• jamie April 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm - Reply

xbox is next buddy , enjoy while u can

6. jacob April 27, 2011 at 2:39 am - Reply

Im going to sell my ps3 if this isnt fixed

7. lol April 27, 2011 at 3:09 am - Reply

This is probably some troll trying to scare PSN users.
    First of all hackers wouldn’t have enough information to be able to transfer funds from the bank account.
    secondly if they could, who is stupid enough to actually withdraw money from an account when they could oh so easily be caught?

• d.l June 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm - Reply

beacuse once they have “ALL” your details not just bank card

the thief/s can then set up fake accounts with your detaisl and transfer money ……just like what happend to me 3 weeks after the PSN breach i had £300 uk stolen form my acocunt the thief made a FAKE paypal account then transfered moneys ..the peope knew everything form my D.O.B to my bank details this could of only been the playstation breach due the thiefs having all my info not just some of it …

• d.l June 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

they then create fake company’s to send the money to in FAKE names but in other peoples details…..thats how FRAUD works..

8. Whathe April 27, 2011 at 5:30 am - Reply

Dear “lol” you dont seem to understand how credit cards work.Hackers simply gather data and sell it online a hacker never really withdraws any money.Most card info is sold at 5 USD a piece.You can buy a card with 2k moneyz in it or even less than 1 dollar.Withdraw at your own risk that is.

• spoofle April 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I still think the fraud would trace back to the hackers and pretty quickly, especially if they’re dumb enough to sell the information in big lots.

I find it strange that all of these reports are about debit cards – debit cards are just plain not as safe to use online for various reasons, and debit card fraud is easier than credit card fraud. With the large amount of users on PSN, a few people reporting debit card fraud doesn’t seem to me like something to freak out about yet. If the reports grow, yeah, maybe, but I’d just keep checking your account, cancel your card if it’s not too much of an inconvenience, and remain calm.

• d.l June 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm - Reply

i understand fully..

i did’nt say HACKERS stole my money
      i saId the “THIEFS”..but this is blatantly something to do with the PSN breach….im just letting you all know this “IS” happening to other PSN users
      having money taken from there account
      why agrue over who stole it …you mug…

• d.l June 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm - Reply

erm read properly you mug…

i said the THIEF not the HACKERS

im just letting more people know this “IS REAL” other PSN users are having money stolen from there account all of a sudden.. its blatantly because of the PSN breach that i plus others have had PERSONAL DATA stolen and now MONEY from there bank accounts …

you think you can educate me haha

9. Exeziel April 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm - Reply

Here is what to do…
    1 pick up your phone
    2 call your card company or bank
    3 cancel the card and order a new one
    4 wait a couple of days, have a new card

And if you really need pointers. This is what you do prior to step 1 (call it step 0.5 if you like)

0,5 go to the ATM and withdraw enough cash to survive a couple of days until your new, uncompromised, card arrives in the mail.

No more worries.

10. Zarathesus April 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm - Reply

How could someone grab credit card info without Sony knowing?
    They left no trail at all for Sony to follow?

11. Fred April 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm - Reply

How or why is this even credible info?
    Oooooh ‘serious danger’ sounds sooo much more dramatic. Hers’ a clue for anyone unsure how banks and credit cards work (including the alleged ‘author’)…
    if there are fraudulent charges on your card the bank will reverse them. If you are worried have your bank cancel the card & reissue a new one.’ Duh gee, uh, huhuh….but , like , what about the serious danger???’

• whatabout.... April 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm - Reply

Actually Fred, its not techincally as clean cut as you say on the reversals.

Credit card fraud is handeled by the credit card company reversing the fee, like you say. However, debit card fraud is handeled by the bank reviewing the situation and making a decision to reimburse you the money.

For those of you who have $0 in your debit accounts this may seem to be the same thing to you, but in reality there is a huge difference – Having a credit card bill that you are told you OWE is something you can put off until the dispute is resolved. However, having your rent $ removed from your account, then having to haggle with/explain/possibly even sue the bank would mean you will be immediatly negatively affected.

In theory, if your bank account is linked to your savings account for overdraft protection – the fraudulent charges could literally 100% depleat your life savings, and in theory – the bank could rule this was not actually fraud!

Seem like that scenario is to unfair to be true? Its not – just go to your bank and ask to speak with a manager.

I learned this when I had checks stolen, washed, and charged against – I was forced to sit there and wait to see just how ballsy the criminals were, they wrote about $5000 in checks. The bank spent about 1 week to return that $ to me. (Oh, but get this – they were crackheads who literally wrote the check to themselves using their real names! Yes, they got caught!)

12. Bozo April 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm - Reply

350 rupees were taken from my account.

13. Anonymous April 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm - Reply

fyi Guys, thats a debit card not a credit card

14. J April 27, 2011 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I keep hearing about Sony notifying customers about the breach. I haven’t received a single email regarding my PSN account. Is there reliable information out there that Sony had tried to contact anyone individually?

• nichole April 27, 2011 at 9:31 pm - Reply

I was totally wondering this too. They never sent me a damn email, and I know they have my info on file. Now I gotta go change my damn card. >:(

15. WC April 27, 2011 at 4:42 pm - Reply

@Zarathesus Sony can’t tell if the data was taken. That means they had inadequate logging to go with their inadequate security. So how could someone do it without Sony knowing? Very easily, apparently.

• SCOTT April 28, 2011 at 2:34 am - Reply

I’ve also had hundreds of dollars stolen by online purchases from this hack. All started April 19th and ended when I called the bank yesterday after noticing it. Its real people!

16. wsc2m April 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm - Reply

well if they took my info i hope they pay all my debt off so they can use my card

17. WTF ??? April 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm - Reply

MY MONEY ACCOUNT IS GONE ????!!!

18. TSUNAMIII April 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Maybe Sony is the one taking the money. Japan is desperate

19. red April 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm - Reply

how credible is this information? how the fuck does 2 users represent the whole PSN user community?

20. what April 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm - Reply

why didn’t they say WHO took the money where did it go?

21. think harder April 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm - Reply

god you little kids are stupid, if they have credit card numbers or debit card numbers then they can access them whenever they want it might not be immediate hell it might not be a year but eventually going through their info they’ll get to your number

• no April 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Are you sure that “if they have credit card numbers, then they can access them whenever they want”?

You can’t buy something in person with a credit card number. You need the physical credit card. You can’t buy something online, because you need the credit card security number – which is on the back of your physical card. Having your credit card and expiration date isn’t really of any use.

• whatabout.... April 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm - Reply

If you’ve worked in retail you would know that you can go to a CC machine, type in the CC number and exp date, then write ‘phone order’ on the signature and – viola! Payment processes. This would mean someone working as a vendor has to process a fake payment, but still racks up your debt on your card.

22. whatabout.... April 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Also, dude could be telling the truth that he had fraud on his account, but maybe it was from another source than the PSN fiasco.

23. no April 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm - Reply

24. duh April 27, 2011 at 10:22 pm - Reply

These guys could have had their cards cloned when shopping at 7-11 a year ago. There is NOTHING linking this to the PSN hacks. This story is all national inquirer, and no substance.

25. anon April 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm - Reply

“The best part is that canceling your credit card or a bank account lowers your credit score.”

No it doesn’t…. Stop talking out of your arse.

Speculate all you want. But again, why debate on it, fix your cards and stop finding every reason in the world not to. Lazy arrogance will bite ya’ll in the arse.

• whatabout.... April 27, 2011 at 11:57 pm - Reply

You are both right.

If you literally, simply ‘cancel’ your credit card your score will drop.

But here when people say ‘cancel’ they mean have the card re-issued with a new number.

26. JM April 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Absolutely, duh! These folks could be lying, could’ve had their card info stolen by ANYONE, including a family member. But no, they blame Sony because it’s a scapegoat and cowardly attempt by some to get something for nothing. Geez, even with a small amount of hash, they wouldn’t have had the numbers parsed within 24 hours of the intrusion into the PSN.

27. Seth April 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm - Reply

I call bs, and I feel pretty safe, considering that there are 75 million PSN accounts, even if only a few million had cards linked to them, thats still several million for someone to comb through in this little time to get the card data, and somehow try to use it. Most online stores that I have seen require the security code that sony says wasnt stolen, and thats if the credit card numbers EVER were, as this has not been confirmed.

Simplest solution is still to cancel the card and take out money before then, then get the new card and alert all of your recurring billers of the new number, as plenty of other people have already stated.

28. rd April 27, 2011 at 11:24 pm - Reply

Skeptics are right; this does not 100% prove that all cc #s have been stolen. Email from Sony this morning contains “While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility.”

‘no’ is wrong – if someone steals your CC data they CAN access your funds, how the fuck do you think any cc fraud happens.

So while it is not 100% certain you will have money stolen, it is an act of blind faith that you will not, as such cancelled my cards & should get new ones shortly.

29. lmt® April 27, 2011 at 11:45 pm - Reply

If there’s actually proof of this happening then I’ll believe it.

LOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!

30. Gabriel April 28, 2011 at 4:45 am - Reply

This was supposed to be the PS3 year… and so far we got the system hacked, the european embargo, the earthquake stopping factories in Japan and, now, this intrusion that could turn into a huge disaster and, in the worst case, kill the PS3.

31. Piero April 28, 2011 at 8:18 am - Reply

The truth is I do not believe in what Sony says. They waited too long to make a statement about the whole matter and IMHO lost its credibility.
    If Sony had the reasonable doubt CC info was stolen, they should have told their *beloved* customers immediately, not 10 days after.
    First thing I did yesterday morning was to cancel my CC, check no fraud happened so far and ordered a new one. BTW, my bank did not charge anything to replace the card. They say they are aware about the situation and it is actually cheaper for them to encourage customers to get a new CC rather than fight the money back in case of fraud.

32. Sia Gi April 28, 2011 at 10:31 am - Reply

I don’t believe this is because of PSN.
    In today’s Q&A they clearly stated that the CC DB table was encrypted. I’ll bet you anything that Sony are PCI DSS compliant, and are therefore OBLIGED to encrypt payment data. Thus, if someone steals the entire file system even, they would need to decrypt the data, which is highly unlikely to happen.
    Out of 77 million users, it’s VERY likely that someone got frauded at the same time as the PSN hack, by pure coincidence.
    It’s a bit ignorant to just blame Sony for your money missing.

Just my 2 pence…

• Olo April 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Read the PCI DSS standard and try to understand it.

The systems that process card data are obliged to encrypt it at rest (when it’s stored persistently), but in order to process that data the systems need to encrypt/decrypt the data and at some moment handle it in plain form (in memory). This is the moment when the data is vulnerable. You could intercept it there when it’s processed.

And another vector of attack would be against the encryption/decryption mechanism. I’m not meaning cryptoanalytic attacks since mandated algorithms are quite strong. I’m meaning that the systems that process card data either:
      1) do cryptography in software – in such a case you just need to figure out where they store the key and you can decrypt the data yourself
      2) do cryptography in hardware using HSMs – in such a case the decryption key cannot be physically extracted beyond the HSM device, but if you spoof the system that connects to the HSM, you can convince the HSM to decrypt all the data for yourself.

This is why many card processors are pushing merchants (like Sony) to tokenize card data so that they don’t store meaningful card numbers, but only generated tokens that identify records in processor’s hopefully more secure systems.

So, as you see, simply “encrypting the DB” is not a silver bullet and the actual resistance of the system against information leak is a much more complex matter, matter which many in the field handle wrong.

33. VladaNS April 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I use credit card for PSN. Since breach is 100 percent confirmed I immediately call my bank and cancel my card. This cost mi 1000 Serbian dinars (12 euros) but what is worst is that Sony wait 5 days to tell us that maybe our credit card is stolen.

34. red13 April 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Your a FUCKING FOOL, Josh Webb.

Why in the HELL would you link your BANK ACCOUNT to your PSN ACCOUNT.

YOUR JUST AS DUMB AS THOSE IDIOTS WHO LINK THEIR PAY-PAL ACCOUNT TO THEIR BANK ACCOUNT.

YOU DESERVE IT…

IF ANY ONE ELSE ON THIS THREAD DID THAT, YOU DESERVE TO GET HACKED TOO.

• whatabout.... May 3, 2011 at 6:09 pm - Reply

thank goodness you typed it in all caps so that everyone pays extra attention to your thought on the matter!

35. Julie April 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm - Reply

All i know is 4 days before the alleged hack on psn, i had my debit card number stolen. 3 transactions totaling 2400 was attempted to be debited from my account. I have a print out from my bank- which all of them were blocked. I owned a psp and had my debit card on file.

36. jamie April 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm - Reply

i think that is all bull shit, because they would not just take 200$ they would want more

37. Germanpriest April 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm - Reply

I´m pissed. That would be a reason for me to buy an xbox. And the xbox is … you know…
    It´s already like a illnes of a needed part of my body that the psn isn´t awailable and i lose contact to a few of my friends through that. And i´m so addicted to cod.
    But okay comprehendible. But to lose information about credit cards…
    I have to wait at least two weeks till i get my new. SO fucking long. Good i had an insurance for that.

They should do what they say. If that happens again… you know.

38. Rich Watson May 3, 2011 at 5:29 am - Reply

To those who were involved in the fraudulent charges towards your account;

How did these charges take place? Did they try or successfully purchase goods at a store? Withdrawal money from ATM or cash back at a store? Or was it done through web/mail/phone purchases?

After reading an article at CNET, some members claimed their credit cards were used for purchases at stores. One for example; a member explained his credit card was used in a German grocery store.

The question that comes up after reading those types of reports, is how did the thief make these purchases without the actual credit card to swipe? The hacker(s) from the PSN breach (if leaked out the info) only had the information on paper, not an actual card.

So could someone please better explain how a thief can make a purchase in a store without an actual card to swipe? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Yoshi May 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Through CNP, you just need to provide the cc info to the store and have them ship the goods to you.

39. Lou May 5, 2011 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Soooo it was all of matter of time that MY financial information was used to withdraw $500.00 from my acct!! The next day they tried to do the same but it was to late! I was already working with my bank to prevent this from happening again…

Advice – monitor your bank accts, possibly change your PIN from your debit or CC!
    From such a big company, it’s a shame that so much info was compromised!! You would think being it’s SONY they would take necessary precautions for such a thing……..

LM

40. Lou May 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm - Reply

RED13 – - is just a simple JAG OFF…

41. jp May 8, 2011 at 8:57 am - Reply

my girlfriends details were taken. She was notified from psn that her details were taken. She has recieved an email from her bank through id aware, saying some1s trying to use her details!!

42. gazza May 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm - Reply

mine was hacked a total od 2449.94 over 5purchases lucky for me the bank noticed it and blocked them, wish the hackers would firetruck off

Leave A Response